BlogPhoto2012

More Mexico/Thanksgiving vacation

We began our trip in Cancun. We scored a direct flight from Salt Lake City to Cancun (very, VERY nice, especially when you are traveling with a restless toddler) which was also only 4 hours long. Before we knew it, we were in the smallest rental car you can imagine, driving 65 mph while the locals are driving 95 mph. I was clinging to my seat for my life as Chip excellently managed to make his way through the chaos and get us to our hotel safely. Keep in mind, I taught myself how to drive in Mexico, so ether these people were driving like maniacs OR it had been too long since I had been there. Probably the latter.
Anyway. We got to our hotel in Tulum, just 3 minutes walking from the pyramids. My girlfriends met us there, we headed to the small town center for a yummy dinner and then off to bed. The next morning, we ventured to Tulum. No LDS tour guides available (2 hour waiting list- no thanks). I tried to give Chip an unofficial tour from what I remembered. We spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach. On Monday, we left Tulum and drove to Playa del Carmen where we would be staying along with my family at the Riu. We laid on the beach, played beach volleyball, taught my mom and dad how to use a buggie board, took a catamaran out for a ride, swam in the luke warm ocean, enjoyed the music/theater shows at night, and ate, ate, ate, and drank piƱa coladas.
After our 4 days of heaven, we drove to Chichen Itza and made a quick stop (I mean quick...we literally went in, circled the pyramids so we could check them off our list and hopped back in the car). We finished the drive to Merida. We got to see the rest of my girlfriends and have dinner at my favorite restaurant. My parents took Kami back to the hotel so that Chip and I could go to a restaurant bar with the gals. Chip LOVED that place. It is an al fresco restaurant with mariachis playing in the courtyard. So typical of Mexico. Loved it.

The next day we were back on our way to Cancun. Our flight left Saturday morning so we had to be back in Cancun asap. We stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna. Such a beautiful hotel! Wish we had had more time to enjoy it's amenities. Maybe next time? We are dying to go back!









0 Notes: