BlogPhoto2012

A Few Notions

I had a feeling right from the start that this year would bring a lot of change. I guess I expected to experience change in residence, profession, things of that nature. I didn't think that the first major changes in my life for this year would be emotionally intricate. I have been pondering the happenings of last year as well as those of this new year. I have learned that..

life is fragile. After losing 3 loved ones, you start to wonder when the last time you see so-and-so will be. I also am learning the hard way that in some instances of life, you don't get second chances. Do today what you could, but may not be able to, do tomorrow. Make that phone call, say you're sorry, tell someone how much you care, reach out to that person that needs your help. It may be too late tomorrow. I still have dreams about my grandfather that cause so much pain and make me wake up crying. Actually, just thinking for more than 5 seconds about him brings me to tears, like it is happening right now. I miss his sly attempts to persuade me to try a habanero pepper; his camera in his hands, so excited to take yet another picture of his grandchildren talking to Abuelita or holding a trophy during 5th grade Spelling Bee; or his broken-record reply to my inquiry "What are you up to Grandpa? - "Just watchin' the puppets on tv". How I wish I had made that phone call that night and listened to that soft prompting. The next day it was too late.

what a comfort it is to know that families are FOREVER. I am so grateful for temples and sealing covenants.

always say goodbye and make sure that you leave those around you, better off than they were before you found them. This may be the last time you see them.

family is the most important thing in life. They will always love you, no matter what, and do so unconditionally inspite of my many character flaws and weaknesses.


having a brand new car, a new home, the latest fashionable attire, the most popular gadgets- don't make you happy. They may bring happiness, but it is always momentary. True joy is constant and independent of material factors.

actions speak louder than words. Words can be lost in the wind, but actions strike the heart. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

true, genuine friendships are in truth hard to come by. There will be people who are there when it is convenient for them, who show one face to you and then become someone else when your back is turned. True friends rejoice when you succeed and grieve when you fail. They also make sure that their hand is extended in case you need help getting back up. A true friend is never envious, but encouraging; never accusatory, but understanding; never grudging, but forgiving; never entitled, but hopeful.
Another of my favorite quotes is "Don't feel sorry for the girl with one true friend. Envy her. Feel sorry for the girl with just a thousand acquaintances."

those who gossip about others in your presence will surely gossip about you with others. I really hate gossip. Everyone involved always gets slimy or defamed in one way or another. Stay away from it! Learn to politely change the subject, or better yet, ask them not to keep going. It really is pointless and nothing good ever comes from it. If you gossip about them, and/or if they gossip about you, you are not true friends.


it is perfectly fine to say no when you want to say yes just to be agreeable. It is ok to avoid toxic personalities and circumstances because it is detrimental to your personal health/growth. I don't have to be a people pleaser. One of my favorite quotes by Dr. Seuss says "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." 

Marilyn Monroe was a smart cookie. I like her more and more each day.
"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

"When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I'm already better than them."

"This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too. And baby, I hate to say it, most of them - actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can't give up because if you give up, you'll never find your soul mate. You'll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."
"I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful." 

"Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn't that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you."

2 Notes:

SueAnn said...

I totally agree with you about the loved ones. I am SO grateful I went to my brother's house 3 weeks before he died. That was the last time I saw him, and prior to that I hadn't seen him in a year. EVERY moment is so precious, I wish everyone would soak up every minute with their families always.

Ashley Mullen said...

Kris....i loved your insights! You truly are amazing! Thanks for your thoughts! Xoxo