BlogPhoto2012

Do It Anyway

I hate that I am a people-pleaser. I really do. I wonder when I will reach my breaking point; or perhaps I already have. If feeling like I should please everyone around me and like it is my responsibility to be the appeaser weren't quite draining enough, on top of it I feel guilty for feeling like I should be ok with these self-fabricated and imposed responsibilities.

For once, I would much enjoy to not have to turn the other cheek; to not have to apologize for something I didn't do, to someone who is upset because they feel entitled to an apology and like it is their prerogative to be easily offended by things that have nothing to do with them. This "loving your enemy" thing is hard...to put it lightly.

I wonder if it is selfish and foolish of me to long for a sincere apology when I have been wronged, for empathy when I make a mistake, or for a simple thank you when I have gone out of my way to show someone how much I care. I am having a hard time finding the energy I need to do all I can to be who I have always been and not care about how others deceivingly portray me to be.

Maybe I just have to Do It Anyway.

Do It Anyway ~ Mother Teresa
People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives
;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and some true enemies
;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you
;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight.
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous
;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow
;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough
;
Give the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis
it is between you and God
;
it was never between you and them anyway.

1 Notes:

Unknown said...

Aw, Kristal. I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I wish there were instructions for how to love and be charitable towards people without letting them walk all over you. Cuz you'd think it would be more loving to help someone be their best person by not letting them get away with being their worst person to you, don't you think? But that's not so easy. I hope you know that you are appreciated and loved. I hope that most of the people in your life see you for the kind, generous, beautiful person you are and don't take that for granted. I for one am so grateful to know you and have you as a neighbor and friend.
By the way, I love that quote. Thank you for sharing it.